Adho Mukha Svanasana
(Downward Facing Dog Pose)
- From normal sitting position come in vajrasana position.
- Bend body and place arms in in such a way that body will form a table, back will form a table top and both hands and both knee will form legs of the table. (Shown as in Image)
- While inhalation lift hip, and straighten knee, as body will form an inverted “v “shape.
- Press both hands into the ground and lengthen neck.
- Ear should be in touch with inner arms.
- Hands should be shoulder width apart, feet should be hip width apart, and parallel to each other.
- Be sure that elbow and knee joints are not bending.
- Look towards navel, keep deep breathing.
- Hold position for 30 secs to 3 min as per capacity and release.
- Repeat procedure for 4-5 times.
- First Bend knee and return to table position.
- Straighten spinal cord and come in vajarasana.
- If beginners find difficulty to keep arms on floor than use block or chair
Contraindications and Cautions
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Dislocated shoulder
- Weak eye capillaries
- High or low blood pressure
- Shoulder or Wrist or back injury
- Detached retina
Benefits of Adhomukha Svanasana
- It Stretches and gives strength to abdominal, neck, arms, thighs and shoulder muscles,
- It improves the health of abdominal organ liver, pancreas, kidney.
- Calms the brain, helps relieve stress and mild depression and Energises the body
- It Helps to relieve the symptoms of menopause and prevent osteoporosis
- Relieves headache, insomnia, back pain, and fatigue.
- Therapeutic for high blood pressure, asthma, flat feet, sciatica, sinusitis
- It improves digestion, blood circulation.