( Vishnu’s Couch Pose/ Side-Reclining Leg Lift pose)
- Lie down on a mat with legs stretched out and arms beside the body.
- Turn body left, Lift head off the floor with the support of palm of left arm as in the image.
- Fold right leg at the knee and locate right foot on the left leg’s thigh.
- Be sure that the right leg is straight, the knee is not bending.
- Hold the big toe of the right leg with the right hand.
- Withholding big toe raise right arm and right foot straight out at a 90-degree angle to the body.
- Hold this position for 30 secs to 5 min as per capacity.
- Release and repeat procedure 4-5 times on each side.
- As a beginner take a pillow or folded blanket against the back for better balance.
- As a beginner, if one finds difficult to raise the leg, raise leg with the help of strap by looping the strap around the middle arch of feet.
- Release leg, bring right hand and leg down, roll over on right side and come to supine position and relax.
- Slipped disc
- Cervical spondylitis.
Benefits of Anantasana
- It stretches and strengthens the sides of the torso, hips, and thighs.
- It increases the flexibility of the spine and muscles in the legs.
- It helps in the development of the pelvic region so beneficial in sciatica, arthritis, hypertension, peptic ulcers, hernia, and colitis.
- Regular practice useful in both physical as well as mental fatigue.
- Abdominal muscles get stretch so gives tone to it.
- Improve digestive, circulation, nervous system.
- Decrease stress and anxiety so it related diseases also.
- Parighasana (Gate Pose)
- Supta Padangusthasana (Reclining Big Toe Pose)
- Utthita Trikonasana (Extended Triangle Pose)
- Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward-Facing Dog Pose)