- Sit on the floor with legs together and extended forward.
- Be sure that spine is erect. To check alignment, sit with back against a wall and sacrum and the shoulder blades should touch the wall, but not lower back or the back of the head.
- Be sure that weight evenly distributed across both hip bones.
- With extending the distance between heel bones and sit bones, Stretch heels away from body.
- Place palm beside hip as in image.
- Keep breathing and maintain position for 30 secs to 10 min as per capacity.
- Release and repeat procedure for 5-6 times.
- As beginner, one may find difficulty to maintain spine erect. Place pillow or folded blanket bellow sit bone.
- Use strap around the foots as in image.
- Be sure that hips, shoulders, and ears is in one line.
- Lower back or a wrist injury.
Benefits Dandasana (Staff Pose)
- It gives strength to the shoulders, upper back, chest, and abdomen. It improves posture and alignment.
- It is useful in sciatica and asthma.
- This asana helps to focus, calm the mind so relieve stress and improve concentration
- The abdomen is stretched and strengthened so helps to improve digestion and belly fat.
- Adho mukha śvānāsana