(Squat Pose or Garland Pose)
- Stand on floor with feet slightly wide.
- Bend knees deeply until hips will be only few inches off the floor, as in image.
- Separate thighs and bend forward so that torso will fit between thighs.
- With pushing elbow to inner side of knee bring palm in front of chest facing towards each other. (as in prayer position).
- Keep breathing and maintain position for 30 secs to 2 min as per capacity.
- Repeat procedure for 5-6 times.
- Relax all muscles and sit on the floor or with supporting the arms, strengthen knees and stand on the floor.
- As beginner find difficult to maintain balance, take a support of wall or folded blanket or pillow.
Precautions and Contraindications
- Knee, Lower back injuries
- Tight hips or groins
Benefits of Malasana
- It gives strength to the hips and calf muscles of the legs.
- Stretches groin, lower back, sacrum and hips so gives tone to entire lower body.
- Tones belly so helpful in obesity.
- It improves posture.
- It increases flexibility in ankles and knees.
- Stimulates metabolism of digestive organs
- It is very much useful in constipation.
- Baddha Konasana
- Upavistha Konasana
- Adho Mukha Svanasana