Mandukasana OR Bhekasana
- From sitting position come in Vajrasana (thunderbolt Pose) position.
- Make fists of both hands with thumb inside the fingers.
- Place both fists in front of naval as in image 1.
- Exhale and with sucking the belly inside, press fists to naval and bend forward.
- Tuck chin to the floor.
- Hold position for 30 secs to 2 min as per capacity.
- Repeat this for three to four times.
- Straighten spine, release fists.
- Relax arms and come to the Vajrasana.
- In beginning sit on folded blanket or pillow for comfort.
- Stretch stomach as per capacity. Don’t push much to maintain the pose for longer period.
Precautions and Contraindications
- Knee or ankle injury
- Peptic or duodenal ulcer
- Severe back pain
- Cardiac problem
- Abdominal pain
- Recent abdominal surgery
- High blood pressure Insomnia
Benefits of Mandukasana
- Main benefit of mandukasana is in diabetes patient, as it increases the quantity of insulin.
- It stretches, make flexible and gives strength to abdominal, Thorax, Ankle, Groin, Throat, thighs, and hips muscles.,
- It stimulates and improve the function of abdominal organs.
- It improves the functioning of digestive system, excretory system, cardiovascular, reproductive system.
- Reduces extra fat from thighs, hips and abdomen so useful in obesity.
- It is helpful to relieve stress, anxiety and depression. Calms mind.
- Useful in dysmenorrhea, flat feet.
- Release knee pain in gout and heels pain in calcaneal spurs.
- Give strength to back muscles, spine and Improve posture.
- Supta Virasana