Nauli (Abdominal muscle and Viscera)
Nauli is yogic technique to cleanses the internal organs and tones the abdominal region by a rolling motion of the abdominal muscles. Before the practice of Nauli, one should be master in agnisara kriya and uddiyana bandha.
According to contraction of abdominal muscles, there are three types of nauli.
- Madhyana nauli (central nauli): the isolated contraction of the central abdominal muscles.
- Vama nauli (left side nauli): the isolated contraction of the left side of the abdominal muscles.
- Daksina nauli (right side nauli): the isolated contraction of the right side of the abdominal muscles.
- While standing, bend waist and knee slightly forward, rest hands on knees. The back and arms should be straight and the head should be upright.
- Now, inhale deeply through the nose and exhale fully through the mouth with a hissing sound.
- Contract the belly inwards and upwards (towards the sternum). This is called Uddiyana Bandha.
- Hold the breath and try to isolate and contract the abdominal muscles (rectus abdominis muscles) and then run parallel to each other in the center of the abdomen.
- Now breathe in and come to normal standing position.
- Take a few deep natural breaths, and try 5 -6 times as per capacity.
- In same position of madhama nauli, after forceful exhalation only the left rectus abdominis muscles are isolated and pushed to the front.
- Hold position for few seconds then Breathe in and come to normal standing position.
- Take few deep breaths and repeat the process.
The procedure is same as Vama Nauli only difference is instead of isolating the left abdominis muscles, the right abdominis muscles are flexed and isolated
- Nauli procedure should be done on an empty stomach only.
- Beginner should take proper guidance, before starting procedure.
- Beginner may found difficulty in isolating the rectus abdominis muscles, it may need practice.
- During pregnancy and menstruation
- Recent any operation.
- Any disease of the intestine or pancreas.
Benefits of Nauli Kriya
- Nauli Kriya massages internal organs in the abdomen and improve their function.
- It strengthens the abdominal muscles
- It helps to relieve from blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, hernia, skin diseases.
- It improves digestive system, help to relive from constipation, acidity, loss of appetite, gases.