(Seated Forward Fold)
- Sit erect, with legs stretched forward.
While Inhalation, raise and stretch arms overhead, palms facing forward.
Bend forward from hip joint and hold toes.
Exhale and touch head to the knee joints.
Hold the pose for 20 – 40 secs, as per capacity.
Release and repeat process for 2- 3 times.
- Don’t over push for forwarding bending.
- If beginner finds difficulty to stretch legs forward and hold ankle than catch shin or Yoga strap or also towel around sole can be used for perfection.
- If beginner finds difficulty to bend and touch head to knee use pillow or folded blanket bellow or over the knee as per comfort.
- Inhale and come up back to the sitting position with arms stretched out.
Exhale and lower arms and come to an initial position.
Precautions and Contraindications
- Recent or chronic injury to the arms, hips, ankles or shoulders.
Benefits of Paschimottanasana
- It Stretches strength to spine, shoulders, leg muscles.
Stimulate the kidneys, liver, uterus, and ovaries.
It improves digestion, increases appetite.
It calms the mind and relieves mild depression and stress.
It helps to relieve Anxiety, headaches, fatigue, High blood pressure, insomnia, infertility, sinusitis.
It helps to reduce obesity, especially reduce belly fat.
Helps relieve the symptoms of menopause and menstrual discomfort.