- Lie down on the floor with legs together, arms beside the body and palms facing upward.
- Take a deep breath and while inhalation raises waist and hips from the floor and take the legs back over the head.
- Now while Inhalation raises the back and the legs up into a vertical position, so that it will be perpendicular to the body by placing the hands on the upper back for support.
- The chin should rest against the chest, creating the chin lock.
- Be sure that weight should be supported on shoulders and upper arms and not on head and neck and knee joints are not bending.
- Gaze towards toes.
- Keep breathing and maintain the posture for 30-60 seconds.
- Release and repeat for 2-3 times.
- To maintain position, take a good support of elbow, make sure that elbows
- Don’t tend to slide apart and the upper arms roll inward.
- Use folded blanket or pillow bellow ankle and shoulder to comfort.
- Lower the knees to the forehead.
- Bring hands to the floor, palms facing down
- Bring spine down, vertebra by vertebra, completely to the floor. Lower the legs to the floor.
- Come to the supine position
Precautions and Contraindications
High blood pressure
Enlarged thyroid, spleen or liver
- Neck injury
Weak blood vessels in the eyes.
Benefits of Sarvangasana
- It increases oxygen and blood supply to brain eyes, ears, nose and throat so improve functions of this organs
It improves the function of the thyroid, parathyroid, and pituitary glands. As all the other endocrine glands are regulated by the pituitary gland, it improves the function of the endocrine system is improved.
Improving the supply of fresh blood to heart so whole circulatory system get improve
It reduces physical, emotional and mental stress.
This asana helps cure sinusitis, asthma, obesity, and infertility.
It increased lung capacity as the diaphragm work against gravity in this posture
Prevents and cures varicose veins, hemorrhoids.
It also improves digestion, circulation and reproductive system.
It helps to calm the brain, cures mild depression, stress.
It stretches and gives strength to neck and shoulder muscles.
It relieves the symptoms of menopause, Fatigue, insomnia.