Surya – bhedhana Pranayama
In Suryabhedhana pranayama, right nostril is used for breath in (inhalation) and the left nostril is used for breath out. Breathing through right nostril channel active surya nadi. Surya nadi also called the Pingala Nadi, which is related physical functions, while the left nostril channel active Chandra Nadi or Ida nadi which is associated with the mind.
- Sit comfortably in meditation pose (Padmasana, Siddhasana or Swastikasana) with erect spine.
- Make Mrigi Mudra of right hand as in image.
- Block left nostril with ring finger and little finger, inhale slowly and deeply through right nostril.
- When inhalation is completed, as per capacity form Jalandhar and Mula bandh.
- Bandha is optional, if one is not comfortable with bandha, perform suryabhedan pranayama without bandha.
- Hold the position with or without bandha for 1to 10seconds as per breath holding capacity.
- Release bandha (if form) and close the right nostril with right thumb and exhale through the left nostril.
- Repeat this act for 5 times and increase time as per capacity.
- Left handed person can use mrigi mudra of left hand to close nostril.
- In beginning, start with deep inhalation and exhalation,Slowly increase time of Abhyantara kumbhaka (pause after inhalation).
- If practioner is comfortable than only form bandh.
- The ratio of time period of purak: Abhyantara kumbhaka: rechak should be 1:4:2. In beginning, do not rush to get this proportions.
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- Recent abdominal, brain or heart surgeries.
- Suryabhedan pranayama generates the internal heat, take precaution while doing in summer.
Benefits of Surya Bhedana Pranayama
- The breath through right nostril is important for metabolic processes. It increases physical energy, efficiency of digestive, respiratory and nervous system.
- It increases the efficiency of lung, useful in chronic cold, cough, Asthma or other respiratory problems.
- Suryabhedan pranayama is useful in winter season to keep body worm.
- It is helpful in obesity, sinusitis, Leucoderma and other skin related problems, body ache, Low blood pressure, loss of appetite.
- It is useful to a Women who are suffering from a lack of sexual desire.
- Suryabhedan pranayama is useful to awake the Kundalini Shakti.