(Side Plank Pose)
- Start from Kumbha asana / Phalakasana (Plank Pose)
Shift weight on right hand and right foot.
Exhale and roll body to the right, balancing on the outer edge of the right foot. Left foot will be on top of right foot. Keep legs straight.
Stretch the left arm upward.
Turn head towards left arm and gaze up at the top hand.
Be sure that the left hand isn’t directly below its shoulder; but it slightly in front of its shoulder.
Hold the position for 30 secs to 3 min as per capacity.
Repeat procedure on other side and repeat procedure for 4-5 times on each side.
- Beginners can lower their right knee and shin to the floor, keeping hips lifted. It will ease in balancing posture.
Perform beside the wall.
- To release Place left hand and foot down on the floor and come in plank position.
Precautions and Contraindications
- Wrist, elbow, or shoulder injuries.
Benefits of Vasisthasana
- Strengthens and stretches the arms, legs, shoulder and wrist muscles.
- Improve abdominal function, digestion, circulation.
Improves sense of balance.
- Adho Mukha Svanasana
- Purvottanasana (Upward Plank Pose)