- Stand straight with arm beside the body.
- Bend left knee and place sole of left knee high up on right thigh.
- With inhalation raise both arm overhead and bring both palms together as in prayer position.
- Make sure that left sole is flat and firm and right leg and spine should be straight.
- Gaze forward, maintain balance and hold position for 30 secs to 2 mins as per capacity.
- Repeat procedure 4-5 times.
- Releasing position – With exhalation, slowly bring hands and left leg down.
- Repeat same procedure with right leg bending and left leg straight.
- With exhalation, slowly bring hands and left leg down.
- For beginner balance in this pose might be difficult, perform asana beside the wall.
Precautions & Contraindication
- Headaches or migraine
- High or Low blood pressure
Benefits of Vrikshasana (Tree Pose)
- It improves concentration, awareness, energy and enthusiasm.
- It harmonises body and mind. Increase mental and physical equilibrium. Improve sense of balance.
- Increases strength, power, and mobility in the feet, legs, and hips, knee, ankle joint.
- Improve circulatory, digestive, nervous, and respiratory systems.
- It helps in stimulating the synthesis of growth hormone and thus helps to increase height for children.
- Helpful in shoulder spasm, sciatica, flat foot.
- Baddha Koṇāsana
- Virabhadrasana II